INTERNAL MEDICINE SPECIALIST
Horizon Health Network is actively seeking two full-time Internal Medicine specialists for the Upper River Valley Hospital in Waterville, NB. We would have particular interest in Internists with GIM, Endocrinology, Rheumatology, Geriatric Medicine, Cardiology, or Benign Hematology interests/backgrounds, although others will be considered based on local needs.
The successful applicant will join a team of three internists in a well-established program of regional care and will establish a community-based practice in internal medicine providing inpatient and outpatient consultative services as well as participation in the departmental on-call rotation.
Members of the department of Internal Medicine will have the opportunity for academic appointment and participation in undergraduate and graduate medical education through Dalhousie University and Memorial University.
Horizon Health Network, www.horizonnb.ca, operates 12 hospitals and more than 100 medical facilities, clinics and offices providing medical services ranging from acute care to community based health services to New Brunswick, northern Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. With 1,000 physicians, an annual budget exceeding $1 billion and approximately 13,000 employees, Horizon Health Network’s strategic vision focuses on research, innovation and education.
The Upper River Valley Hospital is a 75 bed community hospital, serving a speciality referral area of >100,000 patients. It is the newest hospital in New Brunswick and was the first full-service hospital in Canada to be recognized as a leader in energy and environmental design. The hospital provides services to the Town of Woodstock and surrounding areas. Hospital resources include a 5-bed level III ICU, robust hospitalist service, stress testing, ECHO and PFT labs, Cardiac rehabilitation, Respiratory education clinics, and full-service endoscopy suite. Diagnostic resources include Mammography, Bone density testing, CT scanner, and planned MRI installation in 2024/5.
There are over 800 employees, 45 physicians and 115 volunteers who provide service in the Upper River Valley area facilities with an operating budget of approximately $67 million. There is a growing, vibrant community of new physicians looking to expand the local physician community.
· Establish an outpatient clinic for the assessment and management of both new and follow-up patients, with an opportunity to develop a clinic in an area of subspecialized interest.
· Provide inpatient care including MRP coverage for a 5 bed ICU.
· Call coverage providing consultative support for the Emergency department and Hospitalist programs.
· Opportunity among Internists to review and interpret tests including ECGs, Holter Monitors, ABPM, PFTs.
· Teaching responsibilities for residents and medical students as required.
· Participate in departmental and other appropriate URV Area and/or regional Medical Specialties Program committees.
· Participate in medical practice that is compatible with the Health Authority’s mission, values and strategic directions.
· Remuneration is fee-for-service which is a direct compensation between the physician and Medicare of New Brunswick, except for ICU which is remunerated via an alternate funding plan.
· Horizon Health Network offers a relocation incentive of $8000.
· The New Brunswick Medical Society offers a retention program and generous CMPA and CME reimbursement programs.
· The government of New Brunswick currently offers a rural recruitment incentive to those who meet the eligibility criteria.
EXPECTED START DATE:
· As soon as possible.
ABOUT THE COMMUNITY:
Situated west-centrally in New Brunswick is the Upper River Valley region, a historic and cultural area that includes a number of vibrant towns and villages, including Woodstock, Bath, Florenceville-Bristol, Centreville, Hartland and Perth-Andover, serving a hospital catchment population of 50,000 and a much larger subspecialty catchment area (>100,000). Area residents are warm and friendly and welcome newcomers with open arms. Work-life balance is easily achievable in the Upper River Valley. Its proximity to the Meduxnekeag and St. John rivers ensures popular outdoor activities like canoeing, kayaking, hiking, biking and camping are never far away. The region boasts excellent outdoor opportunities including boating, golfing and world class fishing. We have well-maintained trails for hiking, biking, cross-country skiing, ATVing and snowmobiling. Many festivals are offered throughout the year and there are plenty of community and recreation programs for children and adults.
- Certification with the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada as Specialist in Internal Medicine, or equivalent
- ICU comfort is an asset.
- Training in the above listed areas of interest.
- Must hold a valid license to practice medicine in the Province of New Brunswick.
- Must be a member in good standing with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick.
- Must have current malpractice insurance from the Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA) appropriate to the category of practice.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and team-building skills.
- Good attendance and work record.
- Physically able to perform assigned duties.
Horizon Health Network adheres to all privacy legislation and policies to ensure confidential patient, business, financial and employee information is disclosed only to those authorized to receive it for the purpose of fulfilling their job duties.
Applications may be sent (with CV along with three references) in confidence to Molly Pevlin, Physician Recruitment Officer: Molly.Pevlin@HorizonNB.ca.