General Internal Medicine
The Moncton Hospital, a facility within Horizon Health Network, is recruiting a General Internal Medicine Specialist. Services include inpatient and outpatient responsibilities as well as preoperative assessments.
Horizon Health Network, www.horizonnb.ca, is the largest health-care organization in Atlantic Canada, operating 12 hospitals and more than 100 medical facilities, clinics and offices providing medical services ranging from acute care to community based health services to New Brunswick, northern Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. With 1,000 physicians, an annual budget exceeding $1 billion and approximately 13,000 employees, Horizon Health Network’s strategic vision focuses on research, innovation and education.
The Moncton Hospital is a 386-bed tertiary and critical care facility within Horizon Health Network. Referral population includes Eastern New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and North-Western Nova Scotia. It is a major referral hospital which serves communities throughout New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and northern Nova Scotia. It is a Level II Trauma Centre and offers tertiary services in neurosurgery, oncology and neonatal care and includes all other major services and subspecialities.
The Moncton Hospital offers excellent opportunities for teaching and clinical research and has academic affiliation with Dalhousie University. Third year surgical residents from Dalhousie are involved regularly on service as well as PGY-1 and other elective students and residents. The hospital is one of the largest employers within metro Moncton, employing 3,000 staff and physicians.
HOURS OF WORK
• Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
• On-call coverage in coordination with the other members of the Department
A typical weekly schedule will include:
- On-call coverage in coordination with other members of the Department
- Daily inpatient rounds
- Inpatient consultations
- Hospital-based clinics
- Office hours
- Involvement in teaching residents and medical students
Standard remuneration is fee-for-service which is a direct compensation between the physician and Medicare of New Brunswick. No source deductions can be provided. However, under special circumstances, with approval from the Department of Health of New Brunswick, a salaried model may be available. This may range between a minimum of $230,074 to a maximum of $279,682 annually (excluding benefits and source deductions) based on qualifications and experience. Locums receive 10% in lieu of benefits. On call remuneration is fee for service. These rates are based on New Brunswick’s Medicare Medical Pay Plan and are subject to changes based on provincial policy.
- Moving expenses reimbursement as per the provincial policy
- Recruitment incentives for new physicians and medical residents based on approval from the Department of Health as per the provincial policy
- Opportunity to teach with the Family Medicine Residency Training Program with faculty appointment with Dalhousie Medical School, https://medicine.dal.ca/
EXPECTED START DATE:
July 9, 2021
ABOUT THE COMMUNITY:
The city, with adjoining municipalities, has a population of more than 144,000, and was ranked as one of the best Canadian cities for quality of community life. There is an abundance of educational, cultural and recreational opportunities including easy access to warm water beaches of the Northumberland Strait, and also the scenic Bay of Fundy area. Visit the City’s website at www.moncton.ca. On top of these benefits, Moncton residents take advantage of one of the lowest cost of living environments in the country and commute to work times are among the shortest in Canada.
- The Department of Internal Medicine requires that its members practicing have passed the examinations of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada or the examination of le Collège des médecins du Québec. In circumstances where no Canadian trained applicants are available, the Department will consider physicians with certification from the American Board of Internal Medicine who are able to obtain licensure in the State of Maine. In special circumstances, foreign graduates who qualify for licensure in the Province of New Brunswick will be considered.
- Must be eligible for licensure with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick. https://www.cpsnb.org/