Family Physician Opportunity – Upper River Valley – Woodstock region, New Brunswick
Horizon Health Network, Upper River Valley Hospital, Department of Family Medicine, 11300 Rte 130, Waterville, NB E7P 1H1 is actively seeking two permanent full time family physicians with the rural Family Medicine team of the Upper River Valley Region in western New Brunswick. The successful applicants will have the responsibilities of office practice and in-patient care of their own practice patients.
The candidates will be required to follow the care of their patients upon admission to the Upper River Valley Hospital, will need to be in possession of adequate credentials to obtain medical staff hospital privileges, and are also encouraged to participate in the hospital's Emergency Medicine roster. Opportunities to practice Obstetrics and after hours inpatient call are also available to interested and qualified applicants
Horizon Health Network, www.horizonnb.ca, is the largest health-care organization in Atlantic Canada, operating 12 hospitals and more than 100 medical facilities, clinics and offices providing medical services ranging from acute care to community based health services to New Brunswick, northern Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. With 1,000 physicians, an annual budget exceeding $1 billion and approximately 13,000 employees, Horizon Health Network’s strategic vision focuses on research, innovation and education.
The Upper River Valley Hospital is the newest hospital in New Brunswick. It has been designated as the first full service hospital in Canada to be recognized as a leader in energy and environmental design. The hospital provides services to the Town of Woodstock, Town of Hartland several villages and other surrounding communities. The community's economy is mainly based on natural resources and farming industries.
There are over 800 employees, 45 physicians and 115 volunteers who provide service in the Upper River Valley area facilities and services with an operating budget of approximately $67 million.
HOURS OF WORK
Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (variable)
• Responsible for own in-patient care; Including but not limited to admission, history and physical examination, daily rounds, discharge summary, appropriate referrals and follow up after discharge.
• Performs clinical duties including but not restricted to seeing and assessing scheduled and unscheduled patients for routine and illness care, prescribing treatment, consults, referral to other healthcare professionals as required, making home/hospital visits as necessary and appropriate follow-up to patients across the lifespan.
• Provide family-centered primary care by taking into account risk factors (environmental, social, psychological and medical) in a manner which can be understood by the client, and when applicable, their families.
• Participate in the use of departmental and corporate evidence-based rules of practice to ensure that expected standards of care are achieved.
• Participate in medical practice that is compatible with the Health Authority’s mission, values and strategic directions.
• Participate in the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of treatment and education for individuals, families and the community.
• Participate in after-hours on-call coverage in coordination with other medical staff to ensure provision is made for continual coverage of patient caseload during times when you are absent from your practice.
• Maintain a minimum patient caseload of 1500 patients.
• Participate in medical staff meetings/conferences.
• Participate, by consensus of medical staff in teaching and supervision of medical students and residents
• Other duties that may arise by circumstance and may be assigned by the Medical Director and/or the Chief of Family Practice.
Note: These responsibilities are the basic and prime duties associated with this position; other related and allied duties may be assigned from time to time as may be necessary to the operation of Horizon Health Network.
• Attend appropriate CME events as required to maintain membership in the CFPC or equivalent to those requirements.
• Comply with the policies and procedures of the Department of Family Practice.
• Comply with the provisions of the Hospital Act, the Regional Health Authorities Act, the Medical Services Payment Act, and their regulations.
• Comply with the Health Authority bylaws, rules and regulations, and policies and procedures.
• Follow the Code of Ethics of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick.
Remuneration is fee for services billings submitted directly to New Brunswick Medicare and licensure by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick.
• Possible Location/Bursary Grant and Business Grant
• Moving Expense Allowance
EXPECTED START DATE:
ABOUT THE COMMUNITY:
Situated west-centrally in New Brunswick is the Upper River Valley, a historic and cultural area that includes a number of vibrant towns and villages, including the Town of Woodstock, the Town of Hartland and the town of Perth-Andover, serving a catchment population of 45,000. Area residents are warm, friendly and welcome newcomers with open arms. Work-life balance is easily achievable in the Upper River Valley. Its close proximity to the Upper St. John River Valley Trail and the Meduxnekeag and St. John rivers ensures that popular outdoor activities like canoeing, kayaking, hiking, biking and camping are never far away. Additionally, the Aroostook Valley Golf and Country Club, just down the road from Perth-Andover, features a fantastic international course that
• Must hold a valid license to practice medicine in the Province of New Brunswick
• Must be a member in good standing with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick.
• Must have current malpractice insurance from the Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA) appropriate to the category of practice.
• Must be certified in CPR and ACLS.
• Excellent communication, interpersonal and team-building skills.
• Good attendance and work record.
• Physically able to perform assigned duties.