THE POSITION: Internal Medicine / General Internist
Horizon Health Network, Miramichi area (Region 7), is actively seeking a permanent full-time Internal Medicine Specialist / General Internist. We would have particular interest in internists with gastroenterology expertise. The successful applicant will join a team of five internists in a well-established program of regional clinical care. The core responsibilities of this position are a comprehensive full-time community-based practice in internal medicine providing both inpatient and outpatient consultation services, and participation in the on-call rotation with other members of the Department of Internal Medicine.
Members of the department of Internal Medicine are encouraged to be part of the teaching program affiliated with Dalhousie University Medical School and Memorial University Medical School postgraduate program and teaching in the undergraduate program at Dalhousie Medicine New Brunswick. Information regarding faculty appointments is available upon request. Physicians are also encouraged to be part of the research program.
Horizon Health Network is the largest health-care organization in Atlantic Canada, operating 12 hospitals and more than 100 medical facilities, clinics and offices providing medical services ranging from acute care to community based health services to New Brunswick, northern Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. With 1,000 physicians, an annual budget exceeding $1 billion and approximately 13,000 employees, Horizon Health Network’s strategic vision focuses on research, innovation and education.
The Miramichi Regional Hospital is a 161-bed hospital with a full range of primary care and specialty services. The medical staff of about 75 members includes primary care physicians, surgeons, internists, anesthetists, pediatricians, pathologists, urologists and other specialties.
For more information, visit the Horizon Health Network website at www.horizonnb.ca
HOURS OF WORK:
• Hours of work are normally provided between 0800hrs – 1600hrs Monday to Friday, unless otherwise agreed upon by the Service/Department Head.
• After-hours and weekend call coverage in coordination with members of the Department of Internal Medicine.
These responsibilities are basic. Additional duties may be assigned from time to time as may be necessary to the operation of Horizon Health Network:
• Provide an outpatient service for the assessment and management of both new and follow-up patients
• Provide inpatient care including daily rounds on patients and any CCU consults
• Provide consultations to hospital-based patients
• Involvement in teaching residents and medical students
• Participate in medical practice that is compatible with the Health Authority’s mission, values and strategic directions.
Standard remuneration is Fee-for-Service which is a direct compensation between the physician and Medicare of New Brunswick. On call remuneration is provided. No source deductions can be provided.
• Candidates may be eligible for a Recruitment Incentive with a Return of Service Agreement.
• Moving Expense Allowance.
EXPECTED START DATE:
• on or before June 30, 2021
ABOUT THE COMMUNITY:
A playground in Atlantic Canada surrounded by fresh waterways on one side and the ocean on the other.
With a community of Maritime and Acadian people whose rich friendly culture will include you.
To a community where families are able to raise their children in a safe, close-knit environment with a reasonable cost of living.
The Miramichi area offers you a broad range of affordable housing options, from heritage properties to executive homes within the city and outlying areas, reasonable amenities and easy commutes. Two of the Miramichi’s greatest assets are its people and culture. Nowhere is the Maritime experience more authentic than in this remarkable community. Take in one of the local folk festivals or simply enjoy the warm hospitality of the local people. The world –class Miramichi River is a salmon angler’s paradise. Cast a fly over any of the storied salmon pools and see why this river has inspired artists, poets, musicians and authors from around the world. In winter, many of Miramichi’s lodges, and other businesses which cater to the outdoors person, are accessible by snowmobile. A well-developed and maintained trail network links the lodges so that snowmobilers and skiers can enjoy a day in a winter wonderland.
• A medical degree is required.
• Certification with the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada as Specialist in Internal Medicine, or equivalent.
• An interest and skills in Gastroenterology are preferred.
• Candidates must be eligible for an unsupervised licensure with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick.
• Proficiency in English is required. Bilingual skills would be considered an asset.
• In accordance with immigration requirements, preference will be given to Canadian citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada.
• Excellent communication, interpersonal and team-building skills.
• Good attendance and work record.
• Physically able to perform assign duties.