Horizon Health Network, Saint John area (Region 2), is actively seeking a permanent full-time general surgeon specializing in minimally invasive surgery. The physician shall provide both inpatient and outpatient services and will provide on-call coverage in coordination with other members of the Division of General Surgery.
Department of Surgery members are encouraged to be part of the surgical teaching program affiliated with Dalhousie University Medical School and Memorial University Medical School postgraduate program and teaching in the undergraduate program at Dalhousie Medicine New Brunswick. Information regarding faculty appointments is available upon request. Physicians are also encouraged to be part of the research program.
Focused on patient and family centered care, Horizon Health Network (Horizon) operates 12 hospitals and more than 100 medical facilities, clinics and offices providing medical services ranging from acute care to community based health services to New Brunswick, northern Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. With 1,100 physicians, an annual budget exceeding
$1.1 billion and approximately 12,600 employees,Horizon Health Network’s strategic vision focuses on research, innovation and education.
HOURS OF WORK:
• Hours of work are normally provided between 0830hrs – 1630hrs Monday to Friday, unless otherwise agreed upon by the Service/Department Head.
• After-hours and weekend call coverage in coordination with members of the Division of General Surgery.
These responsibilities are basic. Additional duties may be assigned from time to time as may be necessary to the operation of Horizon Health Network:
• Daily inpatient rounds
• Operating sessions as assigned by the OR Utilization Committee
• Inpatient consultations
• Hospital-based clinics
• Office hours
• Involvement in teaching residents and medical students
• Participate in medical practice that is compatible with the Health Authority’s mission, values and strategic directions.
Standard remuneration is Fee-for-Service which is a direct compensation between the physician and Medicare of New Brunswick. On call remuneration is provided. No source deductions can be provided.
• Moving Expense Allowance with a Return of Service Agreement.
EXPECTED START DATE:
• As soon as possible.
ABOUT THE COMMUNITY:
A playground in Atlantic Canada surrounded by fresh waterways on one side and the ocean on the other.
With a community of Maritime and Acadian people whose rich friendly culture will include you.
To a community where families are able to raise their children in a safe, close-knit environment with a reasonable cost of living.
The Saint John area offers you a broad range of affordable housing options, from heritage properties to executive homes within the city and in nearby Kennebecasis Valley. Saint John, a booming harbor city is Canada's oldest incorporated city (1785) and home to the country's oldest museum and farmers' market. For spouses and families, there are excellent employment and educational prospects. The nearby towns and villages, such as St. Stephen, Sussex, and Grand Manan, provide a diverse selection of recreational and sport activities that appeal to all age groups.
• A medical degree is required.
• Certification with the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada as Specialist in Surgery.
• Applicants should have completed a one (1) – two (2) year Minimally Invasive Surgery (MIS) fellowship from a recognized institution. Applicants who are within six (6) months of completing an accredited fellowship program are eligible to apply.
• Candidates must be eligible for licensure with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick.
• Proficiency in English is required. Bilingual skills would be considered an asset.
• In accordance with immigration requirements, preference will be given to Canadian citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada.
• Excellent communication, interpersonal and team-building skills.
• Good attendance and work record.
• Physically able to perform assign duties.