Horizon Health Network is currently seeking three anesthesiologists to join the Department of Anesthesia at the Dr. Everett Chalmers Regional Hospital in Fredericton, New Brunswick. Locum tenens are immediately available.
This is a full-time position requiring Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada certification. The successful applicant would be joining a collegial group of 8 anesthesiologists. We provide anesthesia care for general surgery, thoracic surgery, vascular surgery, orthopedic surgery, urology, obstetrics and gynecology, ENT and plastic surgery for pediatric and adult patients.
The Chalmers Hospital is a regional referral hospital with all major surgical services on site with the exception of cardiac and neurosurgery. With 314 beds and a 9-bed closed intensive care unit, the Chalmers Hospital serves a catchment population of approximately 175,000.
Horizon Health Network, www.horizonnb.ca, is the largest health-care organization in Atlantic Canada, operating 12 hospitals and more than 100 medical facilities, clinics and offices providing medical services ranging from acute care to community based health services to New Brunswick, northern Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. With 1,000 physicians, an annual budget exceeding $1 billion and approximately 13,000 employees, Horizon Health Network’s strategic vision focuses on research, innovation and education.
HOURS OF WORK
• Monday-Friday 7:30 am to 5:00 pm.
• On-call coverage is 24 hours when on call
• Provide anesthetic care to patients requiring surgical procedures at the Doctor Everett Chalmers Hospital and Oromocto Public Hospital.
• Respond to requests from the intensive care unit and emergency department for airway management.
• Provide coverage to the preoperative assessment clinic on an equally shared rotation.
• Participate in an equally shared on-call rotation.
• Provide coverage to acute pain service on an equally shared rotation.
• Practice in a collaborative fashion as a member of an interdisciplinary team and consult with members of other health professions as appropriate.
• Participate in the use of departmental and corporate evidence-based rules of practice to ensure that expected standards of care are achieved.
• Participate in medical practice that is compatible with the Health Authority’s mission, values and strategic directions.
• Other duties that may arise by circumstance and may be assigned by the Chief of Anesthesia.
(Note: These responsibilities are the basic and prime duties associated with this position; other related and allied duties may be assigned from time to time as may be necessary to the operation of Horizon Health Network.)
• Attend appropriate continuing professional development events to meet the requirements of the Royal College / College of Family Physicians and, in particular, to remain current in the field of anesthesiology.
• Comply with the policies and procedures of the Department of Anesthesia.
• Comply with the provisions of the Hospital Act, the Regional Health Authorities Act, Community Health Centre Regulation, the Medical Services Payment Act, and their regulations.
• Comply with the Health Authority bylaws, rules and regulations, and policies and procedures.
• Follow the Code of Ethics of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick and the Canadian Medical Association.
Remuneration is fee-for-service which is a direct compensation between the physician and Medicare of New Brunswick
• Moving Expense Allowance
EXPECTED START DATE:
ABOUT THE COMMUNITY:
Fredericton, New Brunswick’s capital is an energetic city having much to offer individuals as well as families. Being an officially bilingual province, Fredericton has a vibrant francophone population. Le Centre communautaire Sainte-Anne houses schooling from daycare to high school, various sporting activities, weekly francophone movies, happy hours with local francophone entertainment and a Health Centre making Fredericton a wonderful location to live. The city also offers many recreational activities such as enjoying water sports on the majestic St. John River, playing a round of golf on one of the 7 golf courses, walking, running or biking on various trails, playing tennis in our indoor or outdoor courts, joining an ultimate Frisbee team, to visiting the beautiful Art Galleries including the world renown Beaverbrook Art Gallery, taking in live theatre at the Playhouse, being entertained by numerous festivals such as the Annual Music Festival and the Harvest Jazz and Blues Festival, Frostival in the winter months, a free outdoor skating rink in the heart of the city, Fredericton’s famous Boyce Farmer’s Market, Science East where children and children at heart are taught the basics of science in a fun and entertaining, Fredericton captures it all.
• Must possess current FRCP(C) in Anesthesiology.
• Must hold a valid license to practice medicine in the Province of New Brunswick
• Must be a member in good standing with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick.
• Must have current malpractice insurance from the Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA) appropriate to the category of practice.
• Excellent communication, interpersonal and team-building skills.
• Good attendance and work record.
• Physically able to perform assigned duties.
Horizon Health Network adheres to all privacy legislation and policies to ensure confidential patient, business, financial and employee information is disclosed only to those authorized to receive it for the purpose of fulfilling their job duties.
Applicants are invited to forward their CV along with three references to Denise Coulombe, Physician Recruitment Officer at Denise.Coulombe@horizonNB.ca