Horizon Health Network is currently seeking three anesthesiologists to join the Department of Anesthesia at the Dr. Everett Chalmers Regional Hospital in Fredericton, New Brunswick. Locum tenens are immediately available.
These are full-time position requiring Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada certification. Successful applicants would be joining a collegial group of nine anesthesiologists providing care for general surgery, vascular surgery, orthopedic surgery, urology, obstetrics and gynecology, ENT, and plastic surgery for pediatric and adult patients.
The Chalmers Hospital is a level 2 Trauma Centre and regional referral hospital with 314 beds and a 9-bed closed intensive care unit, serving a catchment population of approximately 175,000.
The Department is affiliated with both Dalhousie University and Memorial University Medical Schools. Postgraduate and undergraduate teaching is provided by all members, in addition to clinical responsibilities.
New ORs, ICU, and Labor & Delivery units are currently under construction, scheduled to open in 2023. This will include 10 operating theatres with a state-of-the-art endovascular suite, and facilities for minimally-invasive surgeries.
Horizon Health Network, www.horizonnb.ca, is the largest health-care organization in Atlantic Canada, operating 12 hospitals and more than 100 medical facilities, clinics and offices providing medical services ranging from acute care to community based health services to New Brunswick, northern Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. With 1,000 physicians, an annual budget exceeding $1 billion and approximately 13,000 employees, Horizon Health Network’s strategic vision focuses on research, innovation and education.
HOURS OF WORK
· Monday – Friday 7:30am – 5:00pm
· On-call consists of 24-hour shifts, with the post-call day off.
· Provide anesthetic care to patients requiring surgical procedures at the Doctor Everett Chalmers Hospital and Oromocto Public Hospital.
· Respond to requests from the intensive care unit and emergency department for airway management.
· Provide coverage to the preoperative assessment clinic on an equally shared rotation.
· Participate in an equally shared on-call rotation.
· Provide coverage to acute pain service on an equally shared rotation.
· Practice in a collaborative fashion as a member of an interdisciplinary team and consult with members of other health professions as appropriate.
Participate in the use of departmental and corporate evidence-based rules of practice to ensure that expected standards of care are achieved.
· Participate in medical practice that is compatible with the Health Authority’s mission, values and strategic directions.
· Other duties that may arise by circumstance and may be assigned by the Chief of Anesthesia.
(Note: These responsibilities are the basic and prime duties associated with this position; other related and allied duties may be assigned from time to time as may be necessary to the operation of Horizon Health Network.)
· Attend appropriate continuing professional development events to meet the requirements of the Royal College / College of Family Physicians and, in particular, to remain current in the field of anesthesiology.
· Comply with the policies and procedures of the Department of Anesthesia.
· Comply with the provisions of the Hospital Act, the Regional Health Authorities Act, Community Health Centre Regulation, the Medical Services Payment Act, and their regulations.
· Comply with the Health Authority bylaws, rules and regulations, and policies and procedures.
· Follow the Code of Ethics of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick and the Canadian Medical Association.
Remuneration is a mixture of sessional and fee-for-service billing.
Successful applicants may be eligible to receive the following:
· Provincial Incentive of $100,000.00 for a 4 year return of service.
· Up to $8000.00 in moving expense reimbursement.
EXPECTED START DATE:
ABOUT THE COMMUNITY:
Situated on the unceded territory of the Wolastoqiyik and Mik’maq peoples, Fredericton is surrounded by the beautiful and bountiful Wolastoq river. Fredericton is a vibrant, culturally diverse city where you can enjoy the amenities of a large city and the charm of a small town. Fredericton is where nature lovers and urban go getters come together with year-round recreational opportunities. Whether that is playing a round of golf on one of the 7 golf courses, walking, running or biking within our 140 KM multiuse trail system, playing tennis in our indoor or outdoor courts, skiing and snowboarding at Crabbe Mountain or visiting the beautiful Art Galleries including the world renown Beaverbrook Art Gallery, taking in live theatre at the Playhouse, being entertained by numerous festivals such as the Annual Music Festival and the Harvest Jazz and Blues Festival, Frostival in the winter months. Fredericton truly captures it all.
You can afford to live downtown or in forested rural communities and enjoy only a 15-minute commute, making it easy to enjoy a balanced lifestyle. Rated Canada’s 2nd best city to live in, it is no surprise the friendly, nature-infused community has played a significant role in attracting a team-oriented group of innovated physicians and health care workers.
· Must possess current FRCP(C) in Anesthesiology.
· Must hold a valid license to practice medicine in the Province of New Brunswick.
· Must be a member in good standing with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick.
· Must have current malpractice insurance from the Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA) appropriate to the category of practice.
· Excellent communication, interpersonal and team-building skills.
· Good attendance and work record.
· Physically able to perform assigned duties.
· Horizon Health Network adheres to all privacy legislation and policies to ensure confidential patient, business, financial and employee information is disclosed only to those authorized to receive it for the purpose of fulfilling their job duties.
Applicants are invited to forward their CV to Molly Pevlin, Physician Recruitment Advisor at Molly.Pevlin@HorizonNB.ca.