NEUROSURGERY LOCUM OPPORTUNITY at The Moncton Hospital
The Moncton Hospital, a facility within Horizon Health Network, is currently recruiting a locum neurosurgeon, with a subspecialty in Spinal Neurosurgery. Currently, the department has a complement of four (4) neurosurgeons as well as a fifth neurosurgeon with a part-time practice concentrated on pain and neuro-modulation. Our department also includes an interventional neuro-radiologist, seven (7) neurologists, two (2) physiatrists, a fully equipped rehabilitation unit as well as a dedicated neurointensive care staff with intensivists. A full range of neurosurgical coverage is offered including trauma, oncology, vascular and endovascular services, spine and minimally invasive spine, skull base, endoscopic as well as pain and neuro-modulation. The length of locum is anticipated to be 3 – 6 months, to cover a medical leave, however this period may be extended. On-call coverage will be 1 in 4. Neurosurgery is a recognized tertiary care service in the Province of New Brunswick.
The Moncton Hospital is a regional referral c and teaching hospital; we are a recognized trauma centre with a newly renovated state of the art Medical/Surgical ICU. We have a 6-bed Neurosurgical ICU and 12-bed Neurosurgical Unit. There is a 24/7 ICU coverage offered by intensivists from the Anesthesia and Internal Medicine Departments.
Horizon Health Network, www.horizonnb.ca, is one of the largest health-care organizations in Atlantic Canada, operating 12 hospitals and more than 100 medical facilities, clinics and offices providing medical services ranging from acute care to community-based health services to New Brunswick, northern Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. With 1,000 physicians, an annual budget exceeding $1 billion and approximately 13,000 employees, Horizon Health Network’s strategic vision focuses on research, innovation and education.
The Moncton Hospital is a 386-bed tertiary and critical care facility within Horizon Health Network. It is a major referral hospital which serves communities throughout New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and northern Nova Scotia. It is a Level II Trauma Centre which offers tertiary services in neurosurgery, oncology and neonatal care and includes all other major services and subspecialties. The hospital has two state of the art MIS suites as well as a new outpatient complex including an up-to-date GI/endoscopy suite, clinics and minor OR suites.
The Moncton Hospital offers excellent opportunities for teaching and clinical research and has academic affiliation with Dalhousie University. The hospital is one of the largest employers within metro Moncton, employing 3,000 staff and physicians.
HOURS OF WORK
- Full-time, 37.5 hours per week
- On-call coverage in coordination with the department
A typical weekly schedule will include:
- Neurosurgery services
- On-call coverage in coordination with other members of the department
- Teaching residents and medical students
Standard remuneration for the permanent position is based on New Brunswick Medicare’s Alternate Funding Plan for neurosurgery. The candidate’s remuneration will be $15,000 per month.
- Moving expenses as per the provincial policy
- Opportunity to teach with the Family Medicine Residency Training Program with faculty appointment with Dalhousie Medical School, https://medicine.dal.ca/
EXPECTED START DATE:
As soon as possible.
ABOUT THE COMMUNITY:
The city, with adjoining municipalities, has a population of more than 152,000, and was ranked as one of the best Canadian cities for quality of community life. There is an abundance of educational, cultural and recreational opportunities including easy access to warm water beaches of the Northumberland Strait and the scenic Bay of Fundy area. Visit the City’s website at www.moncton.ca.
the shortest in Canada.
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada is considered an asset. In circumstances where no qualified Canadian trained applicants are available, equivalent certification may be considered as long as they qualify for licensure in the Province of New Brunswick. A Fellowship in Spinal Neurosurgery or equivalent is desired. The candidate must have experience/be comfortable in neuro-trauma and general neurosurgery coverage.
- Must be eligible for licensure with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick. https://www.cpsnb.org/