Horizon Health Network is seeking 5 new Family Physicians in the Greater Fredericton region to form a new collaborative practice under the Family Medicine New Brunswick (FMNB) model. FMNB is a patient-centred model of primary care built on a foundation of teamwork and technology with goal to improve and enhance access to primary care.
Family physicians establishing in the Greater Fredericton region, provide comprehensive family medicine services to patients and participate in the on-call rotation of the Department of Family Practice at the Dr. Everett Chalmers Regional Hospital through one of the call groups.
Horizon Health Network (www.horizonnb.ca) is the largest regional health authority in New Brunswick and the second-largest health authority in Atlantic Canada, operating 12 hospitals and more than 100 medical facilities, clinics and offices providing medical services ranging from acute care to community based health services to New Brunswick, northern Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. With 1,000 physicians, an annual budget exceeding $1 billion and approximately 13,000 employees, Horizon Health Network’s strategic vision focuses on research, innovation and education.
The Chalmers Hospital is a regional referral hospital with all major surgical services on site with the exception of cardiac and neurosurgery. With 314 beds and a 9-bed intensive care unit, the Chalmers Hospital serves a catchment population of approximately 175,000. It is also a training site for the Dalhousie University Family Medicine Program.
HOURS OF WORK
Weekdays as well as weekend, holiday or after hours responsibilities
- JOB DUTIES:Perform clinical duties including but not restricted to seeing and assessing both scheduled and unscheduled patients for routine health and illness care, prescribing treatment, consults, referral to other healthcare professionals as required and appropriate follow-up to patients across the lifespan.
- Provide inpatient care.
- Provide family-centered primary care by taking into account risk factors (environmental, social, psychological and medical) in a manner which can be understood by the patient, and when applicable, his/her family.
- Working as a group and provide extended-hours of care as prescribed by the FMNB requirements.
- Maintain a minimum patient caseload of 1,000 patients.
- Participate in the use of departmental and corporate evidence-based rules of practice to ensure that expected standards of care are achieved.
- Participate in medical practice that is compatible with the Health Authority’s mission, values and strategic directions.
- Participate in the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of treatment, education, counseling and health promotion programs, disease and injury prevention and chronic disease management programs and services for individuals, families and the community.
- Participate in after hours on-call coverage in coordination with other medical staff ensuring provisions are made for continual coverage of patient caseload during times when you are absent from your practice.
- Participate in Medical Staff and Hospital Committees as required.
Other professional medical work falling within the scope of practice that may arise by circumstance may be assigned by the Vice President-Medical Affairs, Chief of Staff or Head of Family Practice in conversation with the Physician.
Note: These responsibilities are the basic and prime duties associated with this position; other related and allied duties may be assigned from time to time as may be necessary to the operation of Horizon Health Network.
- OTHER REQUIREMENTS:Attend appropriate CPD events as required to maintain membership in the CFPC or equivalent to those requirements.
- Participate in physician meetings and appropriate team meetings.
- Comply with the policies and procedures of the Department of Family Practice.
- Comply with the provisions of the Hospital Act, the Regional Health Authorities Act, Medical Services Payment Act and their regulations.
- Comply with the Health Authority bylaws, rules and regulations and policies and procedures.
Follow the Code of Ethics of College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick.
Remuneration is a blended model composed of a split capitation & fee-for-service billing. Guaranteed Minimum income in first year of program.
- INCENTIVES: Possible Provincial Recruitment Incentive.
- Moving Expense Allowance.
EXPECTED START DATE:
ABOUT THE COMMUNITY:
Fredericton, New Brunswick’s capital is an energetic city having much to offer individuals as well as families. Being an officially bilingual province, Fredericton has a vibrant francophone population. Le Centre communautaire Sainte-Anne houses schooling from daycare to high school, various sporting activities, weekly francophone movies, happy hours with local francophone entertainment and a Health Centre making Fredericton a wonderful location to live. The city also offers many recreational activities such as enjoying water sports on the majestic St. John River, playing a round of golf on one of the 7 golf courses, walking, running or biking on various trails, playing tennis in our indoor or outdoor courts, skiing and snowboarding at Crabbe Mountain, joining an ultimate Frisbee team, to visiting the beautiful Art Galleries including the world renown Beaverbrook Art Gallery, taking in live theatre at the Playhouse, being entertained by numerous festivals such as the Annual Music Festival and the Harvest Jazz and Blues Festival, Frostival in the winter months, a free outdoor skating rink in the heart of the city, Fredericton’s famous Boyce Farmer’s Market, Science East where children and children at heart are taught the basics of science in a fun and entertaining setting, Fredericton captures it all.
- QUALIFICATIONS:Must hold a valid license to practice medicine in the Province of New Brunswick
- Must be a member in good standing with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick.
- Must have current malpractice insurance from the Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA) appropriate to the category of practice.
- Certified in BCLS preferred.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and team-building skills.
- Good attendance and work record.
Physically able to perform assign duties.
** Horizon Health Network adheres to all privacy legislation and policies to ensure confidential patient, business, financial and employee information is disclosed only to those authorized to receive it for the purpose of fulfilling their job duties. **.
For more details regarding the FMNB model, please refer to https://www.fmnb.ca/ and/or email email@example.com
Applicants may apply by themselves or as a group or part of a group and are invited to forward their CV along with the names and titles of three references to Molly Pevlin, Physician Recruitment Advisor at Molly.Pevlin@HorizonNB.ca.