THE POSITION: Pediatrics (Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine)
Horizon Health Network, Saint John area (Region 2), is actively seeking a full-time locum Neonatologist, with short term options available. Join a pediatric department that believes in collaboration, teamwork, research, medical education and excellence in clinical care. Our vibrant department currently has thirteen (13) pediatricians including subspecialty services: neonatology; neurology, developmental pediatrics and endocrinology. The Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) is a level 3 medical unit caring for neonates of all gestations excluding those with requiring general or cardiac surgery services, which are referred to the IWK Health Centre in Nova Scotia. Clinical service will be evenly split with two other neonatologists with flexible scheduling and involves primary responsibility for the unit from 0800-1600 on weekdays, rounds on the weekends, and back up call support for the pediatrician covering NICU after hours.
The Department of Pediatric members are encouraged to be part of the medical education program affiliated with Dalhousie University and Memorial University Medical Schools and learners regularly rotate through the NICU. Other opportunities to participate in medical education are available if desired.
Horizon has an annual budget of approximately $1.1 billion and has more than 12,600 employees, 1,100 physicians and 5,200 volunteers, auxiliary and alumnae members, as well as 17 foundations and 18 auxiliary and alumnae organizations. Horizon ensures representation from urban and rural areas through a 15-member Board that consists of 7 appointed and 8 elected members of the public.
HOURS OF WORK:
- Hours of work are normally provided between 0800hrs – 1600hrs Monday to Friday, unless otherwise agreed upon by the Service/Department Head.
- After-hours and weekend call coverage in coordination with members of the Department.
These responsibilities are basic. Additional duties may be assigned from time to time as may be necessary to the operation of Horizon Health Network:
- Provide ambulatory care in a clinic setting (i.e. NICU follow-up clinic).
- Provide inpatient care as required and requested by the Clinical Department Head.
- Practice in a collaborative fashion as a member of an interdisciplinary team and consult with members of other health professions as appropriate.
- Participates in departmental medical education initiatives.
- Provide on-call services during statutory holidays, evenings and weekends as part of the on-call schedule for the Department.
- Participate in medical practice that is compatible with the Health Authority’s mission, values and strategic directions.
This is a Salaried position, remuneration is based on the New Brunswick Medical Pay Plan. The current rates range between $230,074 to a maximum of $279,682 annually (locums receive 10% of the base salary in lieu of benefits) based on qualifications and experience.
On call remuneration is Fee-For-Service which is a direct compensation between the physician and Medicare New Brunswick.
Locums not eligible.
EXPECTED START DATE:
§ As soon as possible.
ABOUT THE COMMUNITY:
A playground in Atlantic Canada surrounded by fresh waterways on one side and the ocean on the other.
With a community of Maritime and Acadian people whose rich friendly culture will include you.
To a community where families are able to raise their children in a safe, close-knit environment with a reasonable cost of living.
The Saint John area offers you a broad range of affordable housing options, from heritage properties to executive homes within the city and in nearby Kennebecasis Valley. Saint John, a booming harbour city is Canada's oldest incorporated city (1785) and home to the country's oldest museum and farmers' market. For spouses and families, there are excellent employment and educational prospects. The nearby towns and villages, such as St. Stephen, Sussex, and Grand Manan, provide a diverse selection of recreational and sport activities that appeal to all age groups.
§ A medical degree is required.
§ Certification by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.
§ Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada certification in Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine, or equivalent.
§ Candidates must be eligible for licensure with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick.
§ Proficiency in English is required. Bilingual skills would be considered an asset.
§ In accordance with immigration requirements, preference will be given to Canadian citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada.
§ Excellent communication, interpersonal and team-building skills.
§ Good attendance and work record.
§ Physically able to perform assigned duties.
· Applicants are invited to send their CV to Hope Kelly, Physician Recruitment Advisor – Saint John, via email: Hope.Kelly@HorizonNB.ca