St. Joseph’s Hospital Community Health Centre is a collaborative care practice staffed by physicians, nurses, LPNs, nurse practitioners, dietitians, social workers, a pharmacist, community developer(s), and occupational therapist who work in a team to ensure that patients receive primary care from the most appropriate provider.
As a primary care family physician in a collaborative practice, the physician will deliver care appropriate to inpatient and outpatient services, work within an interdisciplinary team to provide family centered primary care which emphasizes health promotion, disease and injury prevention, chronic disease management, and client education. The physician provides primary care functions to clients across the lifespan and participates in the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation or programs and services for individuals, families and the community.
Family Medicine physicians are encouraged to be part of the Family Medicine teaching program affiliated with Dalhousie University Medical School and Memorial University Medical School postgraduate program and teaching in the undergraduate program at Dalhousie Medicine New Brunswick. Information regarding faculty appointments is available upon request. Physicians are also encouraged to be part of the research program.
Horizon has an annual budget of approximately $1.1 billion and has more than 12,600 employees, 1,100 physicians and 5,200 volunteers, auxiliary and alumnae members, as well as 17 foundations and 18 auxiliary and alumnae organizations. Horizon ensures representation from urban and rural areas through a 15-member Board that consists of 7 appointed and 8 elected members of the public.
St. Joseph’s Hospital (130 Bayard Drive, Saint John, N.B. E2L 3L6), located in the center of the City of Saint John, is known as a Centre of Excellence for Geriatric Medicine. The hospital is also home to a thriving ambulatory Surgical Centre, a comprehensive Breast Health Program, women’s health services, various medical and surgical clinics, diagnostic/therapeutic services, an Urgent Care Centre and the New Brunswick Eye and Tissue Bank.
HOURS OF WORK:
- Hours of work are normally provided between 0830hrs – 1630hrs Monday to Friday, unless otherwise agreed upon by the Service/Department Head.
- After-hours and weekend call coverage in coordination with members of the Department.
These responsibilities are basic. Additional duties may be assigned from time to time as may be necessary to the operation of Horizon Health Network:
- Provide family-centered primary care in the community for all age groups and genders.
- Collaborate with Nurse Practitioners, Registered Nurses and other allied medical staff.
- Provide in-patient hospital care.
- Participate in after hours on-call coverage in coordination with other medical staff ensuring provisions are made for continual coverage of patient caseload during times when you are absent from your practice.
- Participate in medical practice that is compatible with the Health Authority’s mission, values and strategic directions.
- Participate in teaching and supervising of medical students and residents.
This is a Salaried position, remuneration is based on the New Brunswick Medical Pay Plan. The current rates range between $182,936 to a maximum of $199,680 annually (excluding benefits and source deductions) based on qualifications and experience. On call remuneration is Fee-For-Service which is a direct compensation between the physician and Medicare New Brunswick.
- Moving Expense Allowance with a Return of Service.
- Candidates may be eligible for a Provincial Recruitment Incentive with a Return of Service Agreement.
EXPECTED START DATE:
- As soon as possible
ABOUT THE COMMUNITY:
A playground in Atlantic Canada surrounded by fresh waterways on one side and the ocean on the other.
With a community of Maritime and Acadian people whose rich friendly culture will include you.
To a community where families are able to raise their children in a safe, close-knit environment with a reasonable cost of living.
The Saint John area offers you a broad range of affordable housing options, from heritage properties to executive homes within the city and in nearby Kennebecasis Valley. Saint John, a booming harbor city is Canada's oldest incorporated city (1785) and home to the country's oldest museum and farmers' market. For spouses and families, there are excellent employment and educational prospects. The nearby towns and villages, such as St. Stephen, Sussex, and Grand Manan, provide a diverse selection of recreational and sport activities that appeal to all age groups.
- A medical degree is required.
- Certification with the College of Family Physicians of Canada is preferred. Consideration will be given to other University Medical School qualifications and training.
- Candidates must be eligible for licensure with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick.
- Proficiency in English is required. Bilingual skills would be considered an asset
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and team-building skills.
- Good attendance and work record.
- Physically able to perform assign duties.
- In accordance with immigration requirements, preference will be given to Canadian citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada.