Horizon Health Network seeks a full time Anatomical Pathologist/General Pathologist for the Dr. Everett Chalmers Regional Hospital in Fredericton, NB. Canadian or Permanent Residents already holding Royal College of Canada certification is preferred, although candidates with American Board certification may be considered. Fellowship with a Pathology Subspecialty will be an asset.
The candidate will share responsibilities with nine other full-time pathologists. Call is 1 in 10. The department handles approximately 20,000 surgical specimens a year, approximately 20,000 to 25,000 cytology cases including gynecologic and non-gynecologic, and approximately 150 medical post-mortems examinations for which there is extra remuneration. Some Hematology knowledge including possible bone marrow interpretation would be an asset.
Horizon Health Network (www.horizonnb.ca) is the largest regional health authority in New Brunswick and the second-largest health authority in Atlantic Canada, operating 12 hospitals and more than 100 medical facilities, clinics and offices providing medical services ranging from acute care to community based health services to New Brunswick, northern Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island.With 1,000 physicians, an annual budget exceeding $1 billion and approximately 13,000 employees, Horizon Health Network’s strategic vision focuses on research, innovation and education.
The Chalmers Hospital is a regional referral hospital with all major surgical services on site with the exception of cardiac and neurosurgery. With 314 beds and a 9-bed intensive care unit, the Chalmers Hospital serves a catchment population of approximately 175,000. It is also a training site for the Dalhousie University Family Medicine Program.
HOURS OF WORK
- Monday-Friday 37.5 hours per week during 8:00 am to 6:00 pm.
- On-call coverage is 24 hours when on call
- Provide and/or oversee grossing and microscopic interpretations of surgical pathology cases in a timely fashion.
- Provide gross and microscopic interpretations of hospital post-mortems in a timely fashion.
- Provide gross and microscopic interpretations of type I autopsy (non-forensic) in a timely fashion.
- Interpret cytology specimens, bone marrow specimens; other hematologic interpretations may also be required.
- Participate in the after-hours on-call rota of the Department of Laboratory Medicine.
- Practice in a collaborative fashion as a member of an interdisciplinary team and consult with members of other health professions as appropriate.
- Participate in the use of departmental and corporate evidence-based rules of practice to ensure that expected standards of care are achieved.
- Participate in medical practice that is compatible with the Health Authority’s mission, values and strategic directions.
- Other duties that may arise by circumstance and may be assigned by the Medical Director of the Regional Laboratory.
- Participate minimal teaching on medical students and residents.
Alternate Funding Plan
- Moving Expense Allowance
- As soon as possible
Fredericton, New Brunswick’s capital is an energetic city having much to offer individuals as well as families. Located in an officially bilingual province, Fredericton has a vibrant francophone population. Le Centre communautaire Sainte-Anne houses schooling from daycare to high school, various sporting activities, weekly francophone movies, happy hours with local francophone entertainment and a Health Centre making Fredericton a wonderful location to live. The city also offers many recreational activities such as enjoying water sports on the majestic St. John River, playing a round of golf on one of the 7 golf courses, walking, running or biking on various trails, playing tennis in our indoor or outdoor courts, skiing and snowboarding at Crabbe Mountain, joining an ultimate Frisbee team, to visiting the beautiful Art Galleries including the world renown Beaverbrook Art Gallery, taking in live theatre at the Playhouse, being entertained by numerous festivals such as the Annual Music Festival and the Harvest Jazz and Blues Festival, Frostival in the winter months, a free outdoor skating rink in the heart of the city, Fredericton’s famous Boyce Farmer’s Market, Science East where children and children at heart are taught the basics of science in a fun and entertaining setting, Fredericton captures it all.
- Certification by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada or the American Board of Pathology
- Must hold or is eligible for a valid license to practice medicine in the Province of New Brunswick
- Must be a member in good standing with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick.
- Must have current malpractice insurance from the Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA) appropriate to the category of practice or equivalent.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and team-building skills.
- Good attendance and work record. Physically able to perform assigned duties
Applications may be sent (with CV along with three references) in confidence to Denise Coulombe, Physician Recruitment Advisor: Denise.Coulombe@horizonnb.ca