Fredericton, New Brunswick
Horizon Health Network is currently seeking an Ophthalmologist to join a collegial group of 3 ophthalmologists in the Department of Ophthalmology at the Dr. Everett Chalmers Regional Hospital in Fredericton, New Brunswick. This is a full-time position requiring Royal College of Canada certification or equivalent certification. Alternative qualifications may be considered only if eligible for an independent license with the CPSNB.
The physician shall establish a comprehensive practice in ophthalmology providing both inpatient and outpatient services under the auspices of the Surgical Program and participate in the on-call rota (1 in 4) of the Department of Ophthalmology based at the Dr. Everett Chalmers Regional Hospital.
Horizon Health Network (www.horizonnb.ca) is the largest regional health authority in New Brunswick and the second-largest health authority in Atlantic Canada, operating 12 hospitals and more than 100 medical facilities, clinics and offices providing medical services ranging from acute care to community based health services to New Brunswick, northern Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. With 1,000 physicians, an annual budget exceeding $1 billion and approximately 13,000 employees, Horizon Health Network’s strategic vision focuses on research, innovation and education.
The Chalmers Hospital is a regional referral center with all major surgical services on site with the exception of cardiac and neurosurgery. This level 3 Trauma Center is outfitted with 314 beds, a 9-bedded intensive care unit and an 11 bedded Coronary Care Unit serving a catchment population of approximately 175,000.
HOURS OF WORK
- Monday-Friday 7:30 am to 5:00 pm.
- On-call coverage is 24 hours when on call
- Participate in medical practice that is compatible with the Health Authority’s mission, values and strategic directions
- Participate in Medical Staff and Hospital Committees as required
- Other professional medical work falling within the scope of practice that may arise by circumstance may be assigned by the Vice President-Medical Affairs, Chief of Staff or Head of Family Practice in conversation with the Physician.
- Attend appropriate continuing professional development events to meet the requirements of the Royal College and, in particular, to remain current in the field of Ophthalmology
- Participate in physician meetings and appropriate team meetings
- Comply with the policies and procedures of the Department of Ophthalmology
- Comply with the provisions of the Hospital Act, the Regional Health Authorities Act, Medical Services Payment Act and their regulations.
- Comply with the Health Authority bylaws, rules and regulations and policies and procedures.
- Follow the Code of Ethics of College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick and the Canadian Medical Association.
Remuneration is fee-for-service which is a direct compensation between the physician and Medicare of New Brunswick
- Moving Expense Allowance
EXPECTED START DATE:
As soon as possible
ABOUT THE COMMUNITY:
Fredericton, New Brunswick’s capital is an energetic city having much to offer individuals as well as families. Located in an officially bilingual province, Fredericton has a vibrant francophone population. Le Centre communautaire Sainte-Anne houses schooling from daycare to high school, various sporting activities, weekly francophone movies, happy hours with local francophone entertainment and a Health Centre making Fredericton a wonderful location to live. The city also offers many recreational activities such as enjoying water sports on the majestic St. John River, playing a round of golf on one of the 7 golf courses, walking, running or biking on various trails, playing tennis in our indoor or outdoor courts, skiing and snowboarding at Crabbe Mountain, joining an ultimate Frisbee team, to visiting the beautiful Art Galleries including the world renown Beaverbrook Art Gallery, taking in live theatre at the Playhouse, being entertained by numerous festivals such as the Annual Music Festival and the Harvest Jazz and Blues Festival, Frostival in the winter months, a free outdoor skating rink in the heart of the city, Fredericton’s famous Boyce Farmer’s Market, Science East where children and children at heart are taught the basics of science in a fun and entertaining setting, Fredericton captures it all.
- Must possess current FRCPC or equivalent certification in Ophthalmology
- Must hold a valid license to practice medicine in the Province of New Brunswick
- Must be a member in good standing with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick.
- Must have current malpractice insurance from the Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA) appropriate to the category of practice.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and team-building skills.
- Physically able to perform assigned duties.
- Proficiency in English is required. Bilingual skills would be considered an asset.
- Good attendance and work record.
Applicants are invited to forward their CV along with three references to Denise Coulombe, Physician Recruitment Advisor at Denise.Coulombe@horizonnb.ca.