THE POSITION: Geriatrician
Horizon Health Network, Miramichi area (Region 7), is actively seeking a permanent full-time Geriatrician Specialist. The candidate would be joining a newly established geriatric program, which includes ambulatory geriatric assessment clinic and consultation service for the area. The core responsibilities of this position are a comprehensive full-time hospital-based practice in geriatric medicine providing both inpatient and outpatient consultation services..
Members of the department are encouraged to be part of the teaching program affiliated with Dalhousie University Medical School and Memorial University Medical School postgraduate program and teaching in the undergraduate program at Dalhousie Medicine New Brunswick. Information regarding faculty appointments is available upon request. Physicians are also encouraged to be part of the research program.
Horizon Health Network is the largest health-care organization in Atlantic Canada, operating 12 hospitals and more than 100 medical facilities, clinics and offices providing medical services ranging from acute care to community based health services to New Brunswick, northern Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. With 1,000 physicians, an annual budget exceeding $1 billion and approximately 13,000 employees, Horizon Health Network’s strategic vision focuses on research, innovation and education.
The Miramichi Regional Hospital is a 161-bed hospital with a full range of primary care and specialty services. The medical staff of about 75 members includes primary care physicians, surgeons, internists, anesthetists, pediatricians, pathologists, urologists and other specialties.
For more information, visit the Horizon Health Network website at www.horizonnb.ca
HOURS OF WORK:
• Hours of work are normally provided between 0800hrs – 1600hrs Monday to Friday, unless otherwise agreed upon by the Service/Department Head.
• After-hours and weekend call coverage in coordination with members of the Department of Geriatrics may be required.
These responsibilities are basic. Additional duties may be assigned from time to time as may be necessary to the operation of Horizon Health Network:
• Provide a hospital based practice providing both inpatient and outpatient services for the assessment and management of both new and follow-up patients.
• Involvement in teaching residents and medical students
• Participate in medical practice that is compatible with the Health Authority’s mission, values and strategic directions.
This is a salary position with remuneration which ranges from $230,074 (uncertified) to $279,682 (certified). Benefits include health & dental, paid vacation, pension plan, sick leave, cme, etc.
The Horizon Health Authority offers a relocation incentive of up to $8000. The New Brunswick Medical Society offers a retention program and generous CMPA and CME reimbursements.
The government of New Brunswick currently offers a rural recruitment incentive to those who meet the eligibility criteria. Incentives are reviewed annually.
EXPECTED START DATE:
• As soon as possible.
ABOUT THE COMMUNITY:
A playground in Atlantic Canada surrounded by fresh waterways on one side and the ocean on the other.
With a community of Maritime and Acadian people whose rich friendly culture will include you.
To a community where families are able to raise their children in a safe, close-knit environment with a reasonable cost of living.
The Miramichi area offers you a broad range of affordable housing options, from heritage properties to executive homes within the city and outlying areas, reasonable amenities and easy commutes. Two of the Miramichi’s greatest assets are its people and culture. Nowhere is the Maritime experience more authentic than in this remarkable community. Take in one of the local folk festivals or simply enjoy the warm hospitality of the local people. The world –class Miramichi River is a salmon angler’s paradise. Cast a fly over any of the storied salmon pools and see why this river has inspired artists, poets, musicians and authors from around the world. In winter, many of Miramichi’s lodges, and other businesses which cater to the outdoors person, are accessible by snowmobile. A well-developed and maintained trail network links the lodges so that snowmobilers and skiers can enjoy a day in a winter wonderland.
• A medical degree is required.
• Certification with the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada as Specialist in Geriatric Medicine, or equivalent.
• Proficiency in English is required. Bilingual skills would be considered an asset.
• In accordance with immigration requirements, preference will be given to Canadian citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada.
• Excellent communication, interpersonal and team-building skills.
• Good attendance and work record.
• Physically able to perform assign duties.